Beckenham Town Centre Improvements Update, including detailed drawings – May to June 2016
Our very own Beckenham High Street is about to undergo a huge improvements that that will cover all public areas between Beckenham Junction Station and the war memorial roundabout at the junction of Croydon Road and Rectory Road.
We anticipate that works, funded by Bromley Council (in partnership with TFL) will start in September 2016, and should last between 12 and 18 months.
Substantial consultation was conducted with the community and local businesses in 2014 and 2015. This process identified key objectives for the proposed improvements:
• Remove/ reduce level of HGV usage in the High Street
• Improving pedestrian experience of the High Street – enhanced crossing and widened pavements
• Improving parking and loading provision for visitors and businesses
• Increase opportunities for regular street markets
• Improving quality realm – including coordinated and harmonious design, reduction of street clutter, emphasising ‘village’ identity, increased use of soft landscaping
• Maintaining traffic flow at major interchanges
• Enhancing public realm and pedestrian accessibility at War Memorial
These objectives have provided the framework for a concept design produced by East Architects. This was agreed by the Beckenham Town Centre Working Group at the end of 2015.
During the construction phase the council and its contractors will be consulting and liaising with the local and business community to ensure minimal disruption.
• The improvements comprise:
• All the pavements will be re-laid in high quality paving
• The road surface will be re-laid
• To ease pedestrian crossing improvements will be made the to road junctions between
o the High Street and Rectory Road and Albemarle Road,
o the High Street and Bromley Road and Church Avenue Road
o the High Street and Manor road and Kelsey Park Road
o the High Street and Rectory Road, Beckenham Road and Croydon Road.
• New, improved street lighting and feature lighting of trees and particular buildings.
• New signage and street trees.
• New bus stands.
• New facilities for cyclists including cycle stands, parking and a repair facility.
• Improvement to Beckenham Green, with new lighting, planters, facilities for regular markets and seating.
• Better integration of Beckenham Junction Station forecourt with the High Street
• Improving privately owned spaces such as at the Odeon cinema and Sainsbury’s forecourt to maximise their contribution to the amenity of the area.
• The introduction of shared space pavement parking to create more footway when no cars are parked.
View or download the proposals for Beckenham High Street here: http://www.bromley.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/2616/beckenham_high_street_proposals.pdf