A church has stood on St George's Parish Church site for some 900 years, since before the Norman conquest. The current building is a magnificent Victorian church. Set in the heart of Beckenham, at the corner of the High Street and Bromley Road and next to St. George's Green, St. George's is one of the few parish churches open throughout the day.
Outside, in the churchyard the burial register started in 1538 contain many interesting tombstones of Beckenham's historical famous. Names such as TW Thornton, the former proprietor of the Beckenham Journal, and the Cator family. The Lychgate or corpse gate is one of the oldest in the country and in an excellent state of preservation. It was restored by the late TW Thornton, in 1924 in memory of his two sons who have their lives in the Great War. The Lych gate is believed to have been uised for watchers, concealed in the beams and lying in wait for body snatchers.